mingw on cmd.com: The input line is too long (was: Failed to build qt with MS Windows Server 2003: input line is too long)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Nov 2 15:18:10 CET 2009

Am Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2009 18:01:42 schrieb Christian Ehrlicher:
> Ludwig Reiter schrieb:
> > I tried "emerge qt" to build qt on a MS Windows Server 2003 R2.
> > While building WebCore, it failed, because an "input line is too long"
> > error.   This g++-input line is about 8243 letters long, containing many
> > "-I" Options with long absolute pathes.

This seems to hit the line length limit of cmd.com  of Window XP.
(And for NT4 someone could use the newer cmd.com to get the (Kibi Byte limit)
See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin/browse_thread/thread/6718b6787f3a9e7/f7925bedc7ea70e9

> I had this problem a long time ago with cmake + mingw.

This discussion hint upon that cmake fixed that problem at some time for
large commands line during linking:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-September/011284.html

The problem we have is with a modern cmake and include paths.
They grow a lot depending on the path where the source code resides.

> The only idea I've is to shorten the kde tempdir path and/or ask tt for
> help.

There ought to be a different solution. One would be if the gcc people
had actually added an option to read arguments from the command line,
which they've discussed at some time. Reading the documentation one
way to really fix it, might be to use a customer specs file, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/Spec-Files.html#Spec-Files
Would only be useful if Cmake directly included the technique I guess.

Bernhard