Build manually for MSVC2008

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri May 29 12:51:23 CEST 2009

Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
> On 29.05.09 10:40:18, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've now setup a VMware to do some windows-development for KDevelop4 and
>>> as I understood from previous emails its a bit of work, but probably
>>> better to build with MSVC2008.
>>>
>>> Now the question arises: How to I prevent emerge from fetching binary
>>> packages? If I cannot do that, is there some docs how I create binary
>>> packages myself and lets emerge use them (apart from the source code)?
>>> And last but not least: Does anybody have a list of packages where
>>> emerge downloads the binary instead of compiling it?
>> Well, the point is that in most cases you don't even need to recompile
>> the binary packages - older libraries will be understood by the newer
>> compiler. The biggest problem is that the boost binary package doesn't
>> contain libraries for 2k8 compiler and thus needs to be recompiled.
>
> As far as I understand our windows experts here at work, mixing different
> runtime libraries inside the same application can be problematic - causing
> strange crashes etc.
>
> I'd like to avoid hunting down crashes that are possibly caused by such
> mixing.

As long as you keep away from installing the old runtime (the redist
package from the installer), you should be save. The runtime libraries
are used from your compiler then.
If that would be not correct, you would have to recompile at least the
dbus and pcre packages (all C++ packages, there are more like libchm,
libmsn but those are not needed for kdevelop iirc).
>> This should be about the only compiler related problem so far.
>> As this is about to change in the coming days (boost package will be
>> packaged), this how-to is really only temporary.
>
> Yeah, I just can't wait :)
np, just go ahead and use this weekends time :-D.