building with -mms-bitfields

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Thu May 21 19:35:27 CEST 2009

Folks,

while debugging a nasty struct packing problem with gpgme, on Windows, we
found out that it is normally built with -mms-bitfields, which forces packed
structs, among other things. This is the setting used by msvc, and mingw has
an option for it. The reason for gpgme to use it is that gtk uses it as does
glib, which is one of the event loop options for gpgme. Since binaries built
with -mms-bitfields are incompatible with those who have not (yes, also for
plain C libraries, not just c++), there are two options. Either we provide a
custom built gpgme, as part of KDE/Kontact on Windows and continue to build
our binaries without that flag, or we do what the majority of other mingw
based projects seem to be doing, add the flag to all builds. I'd suggest the
later. Opinions?

Till

--
Till Adam <adam at kde.org>