Digikam on Windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue May 5 23:10:28 CEST 2009

Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
> Ralf Habacker schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> on http://photographsbyme.com/2009/04/19/digikam-on-windows there is a
>> nice article about digikam on windows.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea how to solve the remaining issues ?
>>

> The kconf_update problem can be fixes by a valid manifest. Adding
> support for this for mingw and msvc2005 will result in imho ugly cmake
> macros + hacks. For msvc2008 you can simply add /MANIFESTUAC
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384691.aspx).
>
> I'm thinking about dropping msvc2005 for kde4.4.
For new developers we have a msvc2005 problem already now - the msvc
2005 express start page says:
On March 31 2009 the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition will
be discontinued and removed from www.microsoft.com/express

maybe is it time to switch to 2008 already for 4.3  ?
> Don't know what to do
> about mingw though...

It should be possible to create a tool similar to msvc's manifest tool
named 'mt'

- does anyonw know if adding a manifest for example located on
http://robgarrett.com/cs/blogs/software/archive/2007/01/04/windows-vista-uac-further-reading.aspx
would be usable on vista with mingw ? The related manifest file should
be addable to a mingw executable using msvc's mt tool.

If yes i would take a look how to make such a tool and if it would be
possible to incorporate it into the mingw binutils package or to embed
this into ld directly (There should still some ld knowledge from
kde-cygwin time available :-)  Because the mingw runtime is based on
msvc, the mingw maintainers may also have an interest to use newer msvc
runtimes which requires to have complete manifest support.

At least I will add this tool to the kdewin32 package for now to have a
starting point  - it would be nice if someone else could then integrate
this tool in the related build systems (cmake and/or kde). Maybe the
cmake people are also interested in such a feature