-mms-bitfields revisited

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Tue Jun 16 09:01:58 CEST 2009

Guys, ladies, questioning and/or transitioning folk and those who transcend
gender categories,

please find attached two patches, one against the cmake findkde4internl module
in kdelibs, one against kdesupport's top level CMakeLists.txt, which add the
use of -mms-bitfields to the C and CXX flags when building with/for mingw. The
need for them was brought to our attention by a nasty bug caused by
incompatible memory layouts between gpgme and gpgme++/qgpgme due to their
(gnupg's) use of this flag. They use it, because all of their depedencies have
it (notably gtk) and a somewhat in-depth google confirms that that seems to be
pretty standard practise, among those shipping for mingw. It basically tell
gcc to be msvc compatible, for C libs, if I understand correctly, and should
cause no harm, provided everything is built with it consistently. I guess it
makes sense for KDE to go with the majority opinion here. Ultimately I lack
insight and overview in this matter, though, so I'd like to hear your (kde-
buildsystem's) opinions. I've asked on kde-windows before, and there seemed to
be no real opinion one way or the other there. CC-ing that list for maximum
coverage and transparency. :)

Let me know how I should proceed with this. This then leaves the question of
Qt. Nokians, any opinion on that? Is it maybe even already in there, the flag?

Cheers,

Till

--
Till Adam <adam at kde.org>