Windows start menu item support for kickoff, part 2

Fabian Aichele faichele at primusnetz.de
Tue Jun 9 21:55:45 CEST 2009

Hello!

Summing up the various responses received after submitting my small addition
to kickoff under Windows, I'd like to ask for some further advice on how to
better integrate this feature into KDE.

Keeping this kickoff-specific clearly is not an optimal solution, and I
hadn't intended to leave it this way. My problem is that I don't know enough
about the internals of the KDE core to devise the best approach myself.
ksycoca and vfolder_menu are definitely good candidates for further
modifications; but apart from that, I wouldn't know where to look as well,
for example when it comes to the "dynamic" conversion of Windows' file
extension schema to KDE's .desktop files.

If anyone is willing to give further advice, or even help me with the more
advanced features (like icon extraction), let me know!

Regards,
Fabian Aichele