some glitches and issues updating to 4.2 RC

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 05:51:41 CET 2009

install dbus-msvc-1.2.4-1.bin.tar.bz2 over it.  I filed bug 181140
* I filed bug 181142 that the "Can't remove path/file.exe" should have
[Abort] [Retry] [Ignore] buttons.
* I filed bug 181139 about the installer being confused about installed
versions.  After uninstalling devel packages as you recommended and 2
more update cycles, the installer believes I have the most recent
versions.

Thanks for your response!  Some more answers and details below.

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> S Page schrieb:
>> 4.2 RC!  Wahoo!

>> During Installing packages I got an alert:
>> 	Error
>> 	Can't remove C:/KDE4/bin/dbus-daemon.exe
>> 	[Cancel]
>> and I'm positive dbus-daemon wasn't running before.  It seems to start
>> up during operation in "Installing packages".  I clicked [Cancel] but installation continued.

I confirmed, dbus-daemon definitely sometimes starts up around
"Uninstalling packages" and/or "Installing packages" which will
interfere with installing the dbus-msvc package.  And then even if I
kill it it starts again around the final post-processing (around update
mime types). I filed bug 181140, and bug 181142 that the alert should
have [Abort] [Retry] [Ignore] buttons.

> There may some background processes still running.
> The installer has already support for stopping kde applications - is
> there a line in the log file like shown below ?
> [2009-01-14 14:31:35] Debug: gui\installerenginegui.cpp 625 run
> "C:\Programme\KDE/bin/kdeinit4.exe" ("--shutdown") without errors

Yes, sometimes.  But then the installer sometimes starts dbus-daemon later.

> Can you try to start
> some kde applications and then run
>
> kdeinit4 --shutdown

Yes they all stop fine.

> BTW: What os are you using ?
Windows XP SP 3

<http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation#Common_step:_editing_the_kdeglobals_file>

>> BUT, if I rerun the KDE for Windows installer , it shows I have version
>> 4.00.80.20080120 of several packages installed:
>>   Why does the installer think I don't have the latest versions of these?
>>
> This can happen when you install lib or source packages in the package
> manager mode and then switch back to the end user mode - there is a bug

I filed bug 181139.

>  - you may switch back
> to package manager mode, deinstall all lib and src packages and switch
> back to end user - the error should be done.

In package manager mode I did have several packages checked under Devel,
Doc, and Src, I changed those to trashcans.  The installer still
displayed many packages under "Additional Packages" that "have also been
selected for installing or updating because the packages you previously
selected depend on them." , which is odd because I was *only* deleting.
  And *again*, the installer started dbus-daemon then complained can't
remove it.

Anyway, then I restarted in end user mode.  It now thought I had version
4.1.3 of those packages and wanted me to update.

I re-ran update again, now list is down to
	kdeedu-msvc
	kdegames-msvc
	kdegraphics-msvc
	kdesdk-msc
	and installing libpng 1.2.34

and after one last update, the installer thinks I'm up-to-date.  Hooray!

--
=S Page