Windows-Packaging

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jan 16 11:04:58 CET 2009

On Freitag, 16. Januar 2009, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > >- We need to ship the exact source code, scripts and tools to build each
> > >  specific binary shipped for GNU (L)GPL licensing.
> >
> > As far as i know does the gpl licensing means only to provide the source
> > for a related binary, but it does not make the binary releaser
> > responsible to provide  all required 3rdparty tools.
> >
> > Think about msvc builds  -  We build kde software on windows with msvc
> > express editions, but we don't provide the ide or the platform sdk - in
> > fact ms probably will do not like this
>
> You happen to ask a licensing expert about. In short terms the license
> does require to deliver source for tools and libraries, except when they
> are generally shipped with the operating system. (See below.)

Forgot to attach it, so here we go. I am quoting GNU GPL v2 to show that this
has been in there for years, GNU LGPLv2, and the v3s have similiar
conditions.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Section 3 is about that you must make available the "complete corresponding
machine-readable source code".

| complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains,
| plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
| control compilation and installation of the executable.

Note that the simplified view from 1991 was that most operating system
bring their tools with them.

| However, as a
| special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything
| that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the
| major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
| which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
| executable.

So I think not shipping msvc express matches the spirit of this license.

The point why we want the tools to be available:

> But we also want to make it fairly easy for people
> to rebuild the exact version they are using, so they can only change
> a small thing if they like.

And of course we need to control the tool chain, e.g. for security reasons.

Best,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)