Multiple-installs question

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 15:48:20 CET 2009

I went to install the KDE 4.2 beta using the 0.9.4 installer. I had previously installed 4.1.3, but had also run the installer to remove 4.1.3. So the installer should have prompted me for which version I wanted to install; however, it didn't - namely because it had not removed anything in the 4.1.3 install, it was all still there. After I manually deleted the entire 4.1.3 install directory, it then prompted me for which version to install.

However, I was under the impression that the installer would install different versions so long as they were to different directories - e.g. C:\program files\KDE\4.1.3 and C:\program files\KDE\4.2.0. However, the installer would not give me any option to do so. Am I mistaken in this impression? Or is there a bug in the installer?

I am running this under WinXP SP3 with all the latest patches.

TIA,

Ben