Google Summer of Code Project

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Sun Feb 15 01:23:48 CET 2009

Andrius da Costa Ribas schrieb:
> I have another idea: "Make Plasma a MS Windows shell replacement"
> this idea consists in improving Plasma ( or maybe kwin??) to be able
> to replace explorer.exe, managing window themes etc....
Well the basic problem about plasma Desktop is not that it couldn't be
used in that way e.g. we already know how to set this up and with
'kcmshell4 platform' it should be possible for everybody to change the
default shell to plasma... - what we do miss within plasma but also
within some other apps is the implementation of the system specific
parts. This includes the timezone backend (the patch is ready now), the
task list (which is still worked on) and in the end also Solid (think of
battery applet, the "devices" applet and also some more of them).
Thats why I think that from Solid equally plasma and also a lot of other
applications will benefit from it. And it is far harder to get this
fixed on day by day programming, rather you need one big rush for it.

> but... I think this to this idea can be more elaborated ;).
>
> (is this valid?)
Well, lets wait if some student comes up with it, I wouldn't send him
away ;-).

> 2009/2/13 Patrick Spendrin <ps_ml at gmx.de>:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> as you might know KDE on Windows is missing a backend for Solid API.
>> Solid is used in amarok, digikam, dolphin, some plasma applets and some
>> more applications.
>> As this is a task which is rather compact and can be the way into a new
>> developer for KDE on Windows I added it to the Ideas list for the Google
>> Summer of Code:
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas#KDE_on_Windows
>>
>> If you have any other ideas or comments just reply here.
>>
>> The biggest problem though might be to find somebody who is able to
>> implement this task. So maybe if you know somebody who might be
>> interested, just spread the word.
>>
>> regards,
>> Patrick
>>
>> --