Trouble compiling with msvc80 and possible solution

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Aug 27 00:48:11 CEST 2009

Michael Leupold schrieb:

>>> Thanks, mt.exe works fine now.
>>>
>>> However I seem to face another bug. It seems cmake uses a wrong build
>>> order and executes mt as the LAST tool (even after linking). That almost
>>> looks like a cmake bug, is it? Logs attached.
>>>
>> Alright, I found something :-)
>>
>> cmake uses the /notify_update switch on mt.exe (which seems to be
>> undocumented at least on my version). If this switch is set, mt.exe will
>> set its return value to 0 if the output file wasn't modified and to
>> 1090650113 (magic :-)) if the output file was rewritten. Apparently
>> that's meant to save some time relinking.
>>
>> Recompiling mt.exe with that magic value set as rc (unconditionally)
>> makes it work.
>>
>> I also found this related commit to cmake which contains an explanation:
>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-commits/2008-January/002891.html
>>

> Unfortunately I was rejoicing too early. While the first build works
> fine with this build, the modified mt.exe (returning magic
> conditionally) breaks on updating Qt. I pretty much don't have a clue
> why though and I don't have a lot more time to invest into it :-(

Just a question: why do you still use msvc 2005 - it is deprecated and
already not downloadable from the microsoft servers.
Also no more kde msvc 2005 binary packages will be generated . The
offical releases uses msvc 2008.

BTW: Having the command line called and the error message will help to
analyse the problem.

Regards