X64 MSVC KDE

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 25 12:49:13 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 24. August 2009 12:34:42 schrieb Pau Garcia i Quiles:
> > I wonder about the alternatives. I mean if we could get the game more
> > modular, we might not need to recompile all libraries by ourselfs.
>
> I agree but then we depend on builds provided by other people, which
> may not be what we need/want.

I would like to understand why we would not want that.
Thinking about my favourite GNU distributions, I rely on other people's
packages all the time. For instance I rarely compile Linux or the GNU
C-Library.

> For instance, it's difficult to find MSVC2008 builds for most of the
> third party dependencies, even more if we talk about 64-bit builds.

Okay, that would be a missing variant we need.
Helping upstream to get that going sounds much more attractive to them,
I assume.

> Then there is the problem of newer versions: you want to move to a new
> version of OpenSSL and suddenly you need to rebuild every library
> which depends on libssl, one by one, manually.

Again, upstream should provide whatever interesting versions they have
and dynamic linking would only leave the requirement to recompile in the case
of an API change, e.g. a new header file. We should be able to compile just
with the header file.

Also note that currently many emerge target already depend on pre-build
binaries.

Bernhard