Feedback from an application developer

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Aug 21 14:00:49 CEST 2009

Note: I'll quote you in slightly changed order.

On Friday 21 August 2009, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> To my knowledge windows lacks a proper dependency system like dpkg +
> aptitude, so the idea for most windows application is to just provide
> everything they need beside the windows system libraries.
>
> It is unclear how to deal with this challenge in the best way that
> considers the resources we have.

Yes, that is a problem. But it's one thing the kde win installer really does a
good job at solving (not for all possible depencies, but for a whole lot of
libraries). And that's exactly why I *would like to* use the kde windows
installer to distribute my application. But that is not as easy as it could
probably be, or maybe even impossible to date, and that's the whole point of
my mail.

> I am not sure if this is true for the kde-windows installer, but for the
> Kontact e4 Windows installer we have chosen MinGW only.

In fact, that's what we did for the RKWard (NSIS-based) installer as well. But
this means, we need to instruct users to specifically install the MinGW-version
of kdelibs (and hope they don't already have a MSVC-version of KDE on their
system). That just make the installation yet a bit more painful.

Regards
Thomas