x64 builds and Windows 7

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Aug 15 20:55:26 CEST 2009

Casper van Donderen schrieb:
> I propose making a 64-bit i nstaller which by default installs the
> 64-bit packages. that installer will not run on 32-bit systems
> anyway..
>
> Is that an idea?

What are the advantage(s) to have a specific 64 installer in opposite to
extending the recent installer ?
If the 32 bit installer would be able to run on 64 bit systems and the
installer would be able to detect the 64bit os, the 64bit packages could
be preselected by default  (and the 32 bit packages when running on a 32
bit os)

Important questions with 64 bit systems I see are:

- is it possible to load 32bit dll's from 64 dll's and 64bit executable ?
    If not *all* packages have to be rebuild in 64 bit mode
    if yes then the dependency system of the installer has to be
extended to support 32 and 64bit packages

BTW: I forgot one point - the emerge system has also to be extended to
support the 64bit compilers.

Regards