MSVC 2008?

Rob Bayer rob.bayer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:01:43 CEST 2009

2009/4/27 Christian Ehrlicher <Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de>:
> Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> did anybody try to build kde4 with MS Visual Studio 2008 Express (i.e. msvc9)?
>> Does that work as good as the 2005 version?
>>
> It worked on Vista 64bit. But you won't get happy because of different
> runtimes from various win32libs-bin - you maybe have to compile them by
> your own.

I originally tried to setup a msvc2008 environment, but eventually
just nuked it and started over with 2005 due to weird linking errors.
Here's the basics:

  -CMake supports 2k8 pretty well, so compiling is no problem
  -Emerge downloads several binary libraries (boost, etc) that are
msvc2005-specific. If you try to use these with 2k8, you'll get all
kinds of errors since the linker will be trying to find *-vc90.lib but
only *-vc80.lib will have been downloaded.  For the most part, you can
fix this by just compiling everything from scratch, but that of course
is a royal pain as boost alone will probably take several hours to
compile.
  -The more subtle problem comes in with some binaries that seem fine,
but then crash when you try to actually run them.  IIRC, cpp2xml and
xml2cpp were two of the bigger culprits.  Again, compiling from
scratch fixes this, but it's not always clear which ones will be
problematic.  My biggest piece of advice here would be to grab a copy
of Depends (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) and run it on any exe's
or dll's that are causing you problems.  If you look through the
dependency tree and see things like msvcrt80.dll or msvcrt80d.dll,
then the library was linked again msvc2k5 and will probably throw
obscure (as in burried somewhere deep inside ntdll.dll) errors when
you try to actually use it.

Anyways, as I said I eventually gave up an switched to 2k5, but I did
make a fair amount of progress on getting my 2k8 system setup, so feel
free to drop me an email if you run into any troubles and I'd be happy
to let you know any workarounds I managed to find.

Rob