Major Issue...System Crashes

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 26 06:10:01 CEST 2009

On 4/24/2009 4:38 PM, postmaster+customer-opinions.net wrote:

>   I wish to report a major issue I've found with the KDE on Windows
> project. I attempted top run the software on a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop
> computer running Windows Vista SP1 and found it to run reasonably well
> with the only major issues I found at that time being due to ktorrent
> freezing rather than being able to begin any torrent download. When I
> tried to reboot my computer froze within seconds post completing the
> reboot (soon after the machine would enter a recurring loop of full
> system crashes, automatic reboots, freezes, crashes etc)...the issue so
> destabilised Windows that a re-install of Vista was my only way to get
> back to a working system. This proved to be a repeatable issue and to
> occur with, or without, SP1 installed. It made no difference if I used
> any KDE win programme or not the mere act of installing KDE win being
> enough to wreak havoc with my OS.

That's really strange.  For what it's worth I've had various
incarnations of KDE 4 on my Windows XP system for a long time with no
ill effects.  My understanding and experience is after the KDE Windows
installer completes, no KDE4 program ever runs until you first start a
KDE program -- only then do dbus, kdeinit, kioslave etc. run.  I don't
have the kde-additional ("Cursors and Platform KCM Module") package
installed, maybe that makes KDE more intrusive.

So if it's not random disk corruption, there must be some other
conflict, either in your path setup, some conflicting binary, etc.  But
KDE is normally carefully segregated, so ... no idea??!

You don't provide a KDE version or installer version.

--
=S Page