Installing under Win2k SP4

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Sat Sep 27 00:19:46 CEST 2008

BRM schrieb:
> I haven't seen any replies to this, so please let me clarify -
>
> I have a system Win2k SP4 that I would really like to get KDE installed on.
> I had tried the batch building method before, but was unable to get it work at the time; I noticed the KDE Windows Installer package and the support for "Windows 2000", and downloaded it; but have been unable to get even the very first dialog box to come up for some reason.
>
> I do have MSVC++ 2005 Express installed and use it regularly on the same system.
>
> While I do develop - and have written several installer packages myself - I have not seen this specific issue before. Usually a message comes up - saying that it requires a newer version of the MSI system, or that the OS isn't supported, or something else.
>
> I have tried this as both my own normal user (power user group; by running a command-line shell as the administrative user - works for installing most everything) and as the administrative user (administrator group), but have been unable to get it to work.
>
> If there is any more information needed, please let me know and I will happily get it to you as soon as I can - either on or off list.
>
> Any tips, etc. on how to get the KDE Windows Installer working would be greatly appreciated.

I fixed an issue in the installer (a WinXP-only function was used) some
days ago but did not build a new executable. Ralf can you plz create a
new one?
But I wonder why there's no error message. Can you try to unpack
kdewin-installer.exe with upx (upx.sf.net) and run it again? At least
then we should see an error message.

Christian