finding top-level dirs on windows

Frank Osterfeld frank at kdab.net
Sun Mar 9 18:53:40 CET 2008

On Sunday 09 March 2008 16:13:11 Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
> > Frank Osterfeld schrieb:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> both Windbus and kdelibs find their installation directory by using
> >> the path to their binary (dbus-daemon.exe and libkdecore.dll
> >> respectively) and deduce the top-level installation directory from
> >> there. Both work with the assumption that the binaries are located in
> >> %INSTALLDIR%\bin.
> >> In Gpg4win, we want to get rid of bin\ completely, as all other .exe
> >> and .dll  files are already installed directly to %INSTALLDIR%. These
> >> two exceptions require several workarounds so all binaries and other
> >> resources are found correctly.
>
> It is simple to add a check to getKde4Prefix()  to set the install
> directory to the directory in where kdecore.dll is located, when kdecore
> is not located in a bin dir.  The same belongs to windbus.

Yes, that's what I had in mind. it's simple to patch those two functions for
this purpose, without changing behaviour with a layout that contains bin/.
Especially for dbus it makes sense to me to have that upstream. The key can
than also be used by other projects to find existing dbus installations and
avoid having multiple dbus versions installed.
Would you accept such a patch to windbus in case it allows KDE on Windows to
continue working as before? (An alternative, which I dislike though: Assume
$INSTALLDIR/binary.exe/dll structure in case the $INSTALLDIR/bin/ check
failed)

> The more important question is if this path layout change will affect
> the whole kde4 distribution on windows because *all* binary package uses
> the bin subdirectory for binaries and executables.
>
> If gpg4win will be a requirement for kde on windows applications this
> will let into trouble.

gpg4win won't depend on KDE on windows directly nor vice versa, from the KDE
point of view gpg4win2 is rather an alternative, heavily stripped down KDE
distribution (i..e. only Kleopatra, necessary parts of kdelibs, KDE icons,
gnupg libraries and dependencies (Qt, dbus...)).

Frank Osterfeld -- frank at kdab.net