Installer puts KDE on Start menu

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Jun 9 08:23:29 CEST 2008

Tomasz Bątor schrieb:
> Hi.
> Since last few KDE versions, the installer started to create Start
> Menu shortcuts without asking. After few updates I had "KDE", "KDE
> 4.00.73", "KDE 4.00.74" and "KDE 4.00.80". The first one and the last
> one could be removed normally with right click -> remove. .73 and .74
> must have been removed manually, as there was no normal right click
> menu, it was only possible to fold/unfold the entry.

The reason why you can't remove them is caused by an explorer bug, which
makes it unable to delete entries with ends with a ' ' :-(

A workaround is using the short form of the entry names using a command
shell:

rmdir /Q /S "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\kde*" /x

> Can creation of the shortcuts be disabled somehow?

Currently not, the only option is to run the above mentioned command or
to to run

<kde-install-root>/bin/kwinstartmenu --remove

to remove the entries for the current installation