feedback: phonon.dll, konqueror, installation timeout

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Tue Jul 22 15:13:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

greetings to the kde-windows project! I consider this project the most
amazing and world-changing thing in kde4 and maybe in free software for
2008.

But now to the issues:

kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.2-2.exe from 18-Jul-2008 07:30

I installed kde on a fresh virtual WinXP

 - Installation often has timeouts and I need to press retry.
 - Sometimes it fails with error: no error. This time it happened once
   and I ignored it. Did not notice, which download.
 - kword starts.
 - kmail does not start: "This application has failed to start because
   phonon.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the
   problem."*
 - konqueror does not start without any error message.

About the error message with the *: Maybe it would be good to give
another a more helpful hint then to re-install. This is the typic
windows-user reaction: try to install again.

Maybe one could include a link to a web page or forum or the bugtracker.

The error message also can not be copied to include it into an email or
bugreport.

I know that this is not easy to be solved, but I'd love kde to give a
good impression on it debut on windows.

Best regards,
--
Thomas Koch, Software Developer