instructions for kde-windows

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 00:22:45 CET 2008

Christopher Taylor wrote:

> I have used KDE for a number of years under Linux but have been forced
> back to Windows.  I have downloaded the installer and installed a lot of
> packages.  All that I saw that has msvc in the name.  What do I do after
> it is installed?

http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation

In particular, set up PATH and KDEDIRS from "Summary of Steps" and
follow "Post-install steps".

>   I see the bin directory and there are a lot of exe
> files.

Just run the application you want.  As "Status" says, latest 4.00.80
packages are pretty smart about starting dbus-daemon.exe, klauncher.exe,
kioslave.exe and kded4.exe as needed.

> I have been able to
> run games.  I am not sure what to expect.

Welcome to early release software 8-)  Read the "Status" section, also
the talk page (click the Discussion tab) has various users' feedback on
individual programs, you can add your own.

> I have tried to search and not come up with any manuals or readmes.

Maybe kdewin-installer should link to
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation
?

Disclaimer: I'm just a user writing things down, not a developer ;-)
--
=S Page