Bad installer?

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:32:25 CET 2008

Kushal,
      I had a very similar experience.  After the installation hung the
first time, I attempted to restart it but although the process would show up
in the running processes window, I did not see any GUI window.  Finally I
logged in as a different user and attempted to install and the installation
GUI window showed up, which indicated to me that the installer wrote
something in the users profile that was causing the issue.  Kde-windows IRC
channel confirmed this.

Regardless the installation never seems to "finish".  I waited for along
time and after noticing that there was no significant hard disk activity, I
canceled the installation.

My installation root was c:\kde and I was able to go to c:\kde\bin and run
few of the applications like konqueror, dolphin.  There definitely seems to
be a bug plaguing the installer, and i'll try to troubleshoot it further
once I have some time.

Vijay Avarachen

On Jan 24, 2008 1:07 AM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 January 2008 10:30:18 am Lavacano Volblaster wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Recently I reinstalled XP on the XP box (falling apart at the seams
> > again, that's Microsoft for you.), and downloaded KDE Windows install
> > 0.8.5. I tried to install with it, and it went psycho.
> >
> > First it hung whilst installing a package. Then when I killed the
> > process and tried again from where it left off, it refused to do
> > anything but let me click cancel. I discovered a few weeks after that
> > though I clicked cancel and (supposedly) terminated the install, it
> > remained a running process.
> For me, everything installed properly, but I can not run anything :(
>
> Kushal
> --
> Fedora Ambassador, India
> http://kushaldas.in
> http://dgplug.org (Linux User Group of Durgapur)

"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."
-- ancient Sanskrit saying