problem fixed; bad libdbus-1.dll?

Clinton Reddekop clinton.reddekop at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:11:22 CET 2008

Hello,

SUMMARY:
libdbus-1.dll was causing errors in all kde applications, until I ran
'emerge dbus-src', which fixed it, I think.

DETAIL:
I've been building kde applications with emerge.  All the applications built
(at least, the ones I tried to run) would cause a "Runtime Error!" [1]
dialog to pop up.  Once I clicked ok on the dialog, the application would be
terminated.
By moving a "while (1) ;" loop around in the code I finally determined that
the problem was caused in or below the function dbus_bus_get_private() in
libdbus-1.dll.  Unfortunately I couldn't find the source code for this dll
on my machine so I couldn't dig any deeper.  I found the target "dbus-src"
in emerge\portage... and decided to try it.  And the problem went away!
(Note: I only tried kpercentage and kstars.)  This was last night.
Decided to verify this overnight, since I had messed around in the code so
much, so I did:
- deleted EVERYTHING KDE-RELATED EXCEPT my %KDEROOT%\etc\kdesettings.bat
- checked out latest emerge with svn
- ran 'emerge mingw' to get the compiler tools
- verified that mingw was in my %PATH%
- ran 'emerge kdeedu' (overnight)
- tried kpercentage.exe - it still caused the "Runtime Error!"
- ran 'emerge dbus-src'
- tried kpercentage.exe - showed a splash screen, did nothing for a while,
then I got a "not responding" dialog from Windows :(  [I'm certain this was
working last night]
- tried kstars.exe - works!

COMMENTS:
I don't know where the bad libdbus-1.dll came from, but I'm pretty sure the
source code wasn't on my machine until I ran 'emerge dbus-src'.  I think
somebody smart should fix this problem.
As far as I know, I'm the only one having this problem.
I don't know why kpercentage.exe is broken this morning, but it's broken in
a different way than before.
Although to verify I ran 'emerge kdeedu' right away, before I first did
'emerge qt' then 'emerge kdesdk' then 'emerge kdeedu' - and the problem was
still there.

NOTES:
[1] "Runtime Error!" dialog details:
Title:
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Text:
    Runtime Error!
    Program: c:\kderoot\bin\<whatever_kde_app>.exe
way.
It has an "Ok" button only.

Thanks to #kde-windows on irc and especially SaroEngels for the help on
this.

Clint