still problems starting KHelp Center

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Jan 14 14:15:17 CET 2008

S Page schrieb:
> On Windows XP, I used kdewin-installer-gui-0.8.4-4.exe to install
> kde{games,libs,base}-msvc 3.97.20071231 and dependencies, and set PATH
> and KDEROOT as documented in
> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation
>
> * Double-click ksame.exe
> * Choose Help > SameGame Handbook
>
> Get alert:
>    Could no launch the KDE Help Center:
>    KDEInit could not launch 'khelpcenter.'
>
> I wonder if KDEInit, knotify, KLauncher etc. are starting up
> successfully on their own.  After starting ksame.exe I have
> dbus-daemon.exe, kded4.exe, and klauncher.exe processes,
You can verify if klauncher is up and running by open the kde file
dialog from a kde application. If you can see files klauncher is running.
> but Dbgview
> shows various errors (see below).

there are known issues and not ported areas in kdelibs and/or applications.
> Is there supposed to be a khelpcenter.exe on Windows?  I don't have one.

Khelpcenter isn't completly ported to Windows because of K3Process usage
and external dependencies not ported like using perl scripts for running
search engines.
Additional khelpcenter uses htdig as local index machine, which isn't
adapted. The real question is if it is really required to use a complete
external search engine for searching only html or xml documents.