Porting Oxygen cursors to Windows

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sat Jan 5 23:25:30 CET 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 20:31:06 you wrote:
> Riccardo Iaconelli said the following, On 2008-01-05 20:15:
> > is there someone of you guys who is willing to help me porting the Oxy
> > cursors to windows? Googling seems that Visual Studio is able to create
> > them, and apaku told me on IRC that someone in this list has it
> > installed.
> >
> > I've no experience at all in that, and I don't have a windows machine
> > where to test them, but it would be something very nice to have. =)
> >
> > So, who is willing to help?
> >
> > Bye,
> > -Riccardo
> > P.S. I'm not subscribed to this list so please keep me CC'd.
>
> Do you mean mouse cursors? If so, let me ask, why do you need them on
> Windows which already have its set? (the same for GNOME/Mac/whatever).

Yes, mouse cursors. And, btw, GNOME doesn't have its own mouse cursors, afaik
at least.

> I am asking because I do not want to break user's experience by pretending
> that KDE apps on Windows (and Mac) are not native.
>
> Feel free to present your opinion and points.
>
> My message would be "we stay as native as possible" and "want the same
> experience with plasma and cool mouse cursors - go to Linux/BSD".
> That said, oxy cursors as an nondefault option are OK for me...
>
> PS:
> For those that do not remember how messy can app that redefines cursors and
> style look, I'd say - try to run Winamp...
>
> For me cursors are the part of operating system's internals, not per-window
> setting.

Ok, there has been a little misunderstanding. =)
I don't want to have the Oxygen cursors to just show up on KDE 4 windows, like
I understand from your words Winamp is doing, but instead I would like to
ship a cursor theme that the user can simply decide to enable. And, if it is,
it will obviously be enabled globally, and not per-window... per window it
looks just horrible. ;-)

The Oxygen cursor theme for windows will be used by those who want to have a
more complete KDE 4 experience, will be used by KDE 4/FLOSS nostalgics who
want a bit of Oxygen even in their windows box, or simply by normal users as
a very nice cursor theme, and in this case it will simply play the role of an
added value to downloading KDE. =)

And well, these are basically the same reasons why we're putting them as
default on X11 too, except maybe the improved consistency that we can obtain,
because we can set them default, when the user only uses KDE 4 applications
(which, almost like in windows, is a not-so-likely case).

Bye,
-Riccardo
--
GPG key: