Looking for hints on getting kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe to work

Gudmund Areskoug gudmundpublic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 16:40:43 CET 2008

Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
> ...and another one:
>
> A reminder about running the gui installer as admin, since at least some
> of the installers you get (depending on selections) only work when
> running as admin.

Or: inform the user that some things will/may not work unless the
installation is run as admin, and that a rerun as admin after the
installation has completed its course will be sufficient to mend the holes.

Except this hole: for whatever reason (possibly me telling the mingw
installer to put it there), mingwm10.dll was installed in C:\MinGW on my
system, so running anything in C:\KDE\bin resulted in a complaint about
wrong path to that file.

My ugly hack of simply copying mingwm10.dll into C:\KDE\bin *seems* to
have worked. Will look out for adverse effects (unless someone's kind
enough to tell me before silly things happen/I waste time searching in
Bugzilla, <http://bugs.kde.org/query.cgi>, which I'm not sure is for the
Windows version).

It's an eerie feeling, running Kate, Lokalize or Marble under Windows.
Hope I'll find Kstars there too (so some non-Linux users in my daughters
class might use it under Windows), but haven't seen it.

Great work, guys!

BR,
Gudmund