Looking for hints on getting kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe to work

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Feb 27 12:02:27 CET 2008

Gudmund Areskoug schrieb:
> Hello Ralf,
>
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Gudmund Areskoug schrieb:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm new to this list, although I'm not directly new to things KDE.
>>>
>>> I tested kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe (which seems to be the same as
>>> the kdewin-installer-gui-latest.exe at this point.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me (freely translated):
>>>
>>> 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem
>>>
>>> Command interpreter - kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe
>>>

>> are you sure, that the downloaded installer isn't corrupted ?
>> you may try another url for example
>> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/4.0.63/win32/kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe
>> or
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=214730&use_mirror=switch&filename=kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe&16027898
>>

> Yay, that was it! Starting to test it right away.
>
> How did you come to suspect that was the case?
>
 > 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem

The installer is no 16 bit application -> This message indicates that
the exe loader could not detect a valid executable.
> Will pass the links on to my colleagues.

because the exactly installer url will change in the future, it would be
better to give away the following url
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-windows/
On this page there is a link "download KDE on windows".

Another url is http://windows.kde.org/.