Looking for hints on getting kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe to work

Gudmund Areskoug gudmundpublic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 10:52:14 CET 2008

Hello,

I'm new to this list, although I'm not directly new to things KDE.

I tested kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe (which seems to be the same as
the kdewin-installer-gui-latest.exe at this point.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me (freely translated):

16-bit MS-DOS subsystem

Command interpreter - kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe
NTVDM CPU encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06e5 IP:0659 OP:63 75 6d 6e Select Close to end the program.

[Close] [Ignore]

Using ignore gives a few more such error messages, then hangs i cmd.

Oh well, perhaps in the next version?

W2K on a dual core Pentium 4 here.

Now I'm looking for ways to help make it work. I'm no hacker, but don't
mind fiddling where logic, openness (of the code) and time permits me to :)

Some background:
I'm a translator, active on a mailing list for professional translators
who would rather use open source software, and was looking forward to
testing Lokalize/Kaider/Kbabel under Windows.

However, being in a process of gradually turning more mobile, hitherto
with the aid of Portableapps.com, the thought struck me that KDE things
"should"/might be ideally suited for the *cross-platformÄ portability
I'd really want.

So, any hints how to help make the installer work, e. g. where I should
find the source code for it, are welcome :)

BR,
Gudmund