more on building with MSVC

Michael O'Shea michael.a.oshea at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:29:44 CET 2008

Chaps,

Michael O'Shea wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > you may have seen me on IRC discussing the building of amarokplasmalib
> > in MSVC. I don't actually want to obtain anything that can execute, I
> > just want to use MSVC's call mapping tools to analyse the dependencies
> > between different libraries. This requires that I be able to finish
> > building objects properly.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your issue. If you just want object files, why
> can't you just run "emerge amarok"? Sure, you'll end up with something
> you can execute as a by-product, but it'll produce the object files
> along the way.

I actually don't want the object files. I want the "program database" files
that MSVC produces as it compiles the source and in which it keeps all sorts
of metadata on such things as "call maps" which is what *I* am interested
in.

Like I said earlier on : I want to use the call mapping capability of MSVC
in order to work out dependencies between different code modules.

Naturally, if MinGW (whatever the alternative to MSVC is) can do this too,
I'll drop MSVC and go and build with the other alternative instead.

So, is there anyone out there with experience in building with MSVC who
could help ?

Cheers,

Michael