The project name

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sat Feb 9 12:59:54 CET 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> honestly, i don't think that "KDE on $PLATFORM" matters at all. it's a name

Yes, I never heard about 'Firefox on Windows'?

> for developers and the development team. users don't particularly care, imho.
> we should just promote Kexi or Kontact or the "KDE Development Kit" or
> whatever we end up calling that. the platform it targets should be irrelevant
> for user level marketing; it's really only a developer issue. and for the, i
> think KDE/Win, KDE/Mac, KDE/Solaris, KDE/BSD and KDE/Linux work just fine =)
>
> or maybe it's an array. KDE["Win"] .. or a function call? KDE(Win) ;)
> anyways...

bool kde(const char* os);

boost::function<bool()> KDE = boost::bind(&kde, "Win");

bool isGreat = KDE();

> when it comes to user level marketing, it's all about context of venue. so
> promote Kontact on Windows by posting to windows forums or writing in windows
> focussed magazines. the screenshots should show Kontact on Windows XP and/or
> Vista. people will get the idea from there.
>
> at that point, people will start to notice that "hey, these apps run
> elsewhere, too!" and that it's the app and the KDE platform, not the OS, that
> is the interesting bit.
>
> yes, not everyone will switch off windows (in fact, by bringing these apps to
> windows, we actually decrease the odds of that) but that message will appeal
> to those who are looking to switch and will especially appeal to those who
> are needing to manage heterogenous environments (e.g. pretty much any
> company, school or government operation of size).
>
> so what i'm saying in a very long winded fashion here is that, imho:
>
> * KDE/$PLATFORM is a development team term only
> * users should see the KDE brands (e.g. KOffice, Kontact, etc) directly

I agree, the longterm goal of KDE is (should be?) to make the OS transparent.
Transparency in the meaning of making the OS invisible.
The only visible/opaque thing is KDE.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_%28computing%29).

Peter