The project name

Saro Engels ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Feb 8 02:46:26 CET 2008

Jarosław Staniek schrieb:
> After the thread about "people" page, here's another by the way:
>
> One note regarding the project name. We already use the following combinations:
> KDE-Windows, KDE Windows, KDE-applications
>
> A question to contributors: Please answer what your idea is, to have more
> consistency and improve appearance once the project gets more matured.
>
> I was thinking about "KDE on Windows project" and using "KDE on Windows" in
> texts where possible. Look that the techbase already uses "KDE on Windows" on
> the top level: http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects
> (and that's compatible with KDE on Mac OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD)
Sometimes I think that KDE on Windows/MacOSX is a bad choice since
neither of the two targets the desktop itself (which is implied by that
form imho) but we only port the applications (... yet).

A more straightforward form would be KDE/Windows (as in GNU/Linux or
GNU/Hurd) but I am not really a fan of that form.

My proposal is:
We use 'KDE on Windows' in written text as in
"The KDE on Windows project uses both microsoft and free compilers."
where ever possible.
If one really needs to shorten it, we should use  'KDE-Windows'
(preferrably with all capital KDE and capital W plus a dash).
This is used e.g. in the name of the mailing list, the name of the IRC
channel etc.
All other occurances should be changed to one of the two possibilities.
I think until now I tried to use those two ways at least for official stuff.

Our """products""" might need to be renamed, though I am not sure who
will have to think of a good name ... ;-)

regards and a good night
SaroEngels