Suggestions for additions to the kde-windows techbase page

Michael O'Shea michael.a.oshea at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:16:42 CET 2008

People,

I've been working my way through a number of little hiccups that I'm sure
are pretty typical for first-timers. I'd like to suggest a couple of topics
that could be added to a Troubleshooting section on the techbase pages.

If you agree to the idea and to the points I list, I could write them up for
your review before adding them to the "Getting started" page(s).

I believe that whatever trouble comes from me not having the appropriate
proxy settings configured in IE before letting the installer do its thing.
The MSVC 2005 Express installer that is invoked by the installer goes and
downloads a bunch of stuff from MSDN. For this to work, the proxy settings
in IE have to be set properly. If you are running this from home and your IE
is still set up as it was when you were at work inside your company's WAN,
this step is going to fail.

As for the actual items I suggest adding in a Troubleshooting section:
1) running emerge [package] generates a number of CMAKE errors ==> configure
CMAKE with %KDEROOT\bin\CMakeSetup.exe
2) running CMakeSetup fails with "cannot open file 'user32.lib'" somewhere
in the error message ==> the MS Platform SDK has not been installed. Run
%KDEDIRS%\packages\PSDK-x86.exe

That'll do for now.

Cheers,

Michael