sf download links (was: 3 diffs)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 18 15:14:56 CET 2008

Dear LIM Fung-Chai,

thanks for reminding us of a few more heanet.df links in emerge,
I have just changed them:

r898617 | breiter | 2008-12-18 15:05:38 +0100 (Do, 18 Dez 2008) | 4 lines

Changed more sf download links from "heanet.dl" to the more
generic "downloads".
This allows utils.wgetFile() to do special treatment of sf sites.
(Thanks to "LIM Fung-Chai" for bringing up the point.)

Am Freitag, 12. Dezember 2008 21:33:21 schrieb M.Z.:
> Picking at random doesn't guarantee you'll get a
> good connection even if closer, so for the users that have no
> problems getting to heanet, which I think is the majority, changing the
> link will probably cause them to have problems.

Because sf is unreliable and you really would want longer emerge runs to be
unattended, there is a special treatment of "downloads.sourceforge.net" in
utils.py attempting 3 fetches

If you want to  have special requirements, it should be done there I guess,
so you could completely switch to one of the mirrors in this function.
This was a short solution.

> If anything, a patch
> that prompts for a file on the local hard drive if the download fails
> would be the most generic option. This would allow anyone to use
> whatever means they have to successfully get the file and use it.

Yes, I very nice improvement was if files in the download direction
would be checked _before_ network access.
This would assume that some form of checksum is already in the portage file.
Having such a checksum is very advisable for integrety checking as well.