"External" Libraries in KDE4 apps

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 22:20:37 CEST 2007

On 26.09.07 21:27:45, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
> > I'd like to get some clarifications about the various issues with
> > libraries on win32.
> >
> > Is it possible to use static libraries on win32? If so whats needed for
> > that, I guess 2 separate builds for mingw and msvc?
> >
> it is possible as long as you use the same compiler switches for all
> libs you want to combine.

Well, I suspect thats not going to happen if plugin == lib (I'm going to
use the svn stuff in a kdevelop plugin).

> > Is it relatively easy to convert a static lib into a shared lib when
> >
> > - its a shared lib on unix already (but seemingly not using gcc
> > visibility)
> > - the list of to-be-exported classes is very clearly defined
> > ?
> Imho there's no chance to convert a shared lib to a static one and vice
> versa.

What I meant is, convert the MSVC buildsystem to create a shared lib
instead of a static one, which should only need to declare the exported
classes properly I think...

> > In case you're wondering: I'm going to change KDevPlatform's dependecy
> > on the subversion C-library to RapidSVN's libsvncpp. As far as I can see
> > they only provide MSVC-Buildsystem for win32 (unix uses autohell) and
> > those dsp-files build a static lib.
> Did you try to compile with msys?

No, I didn't try anything with rapidsvn at all yet, I first need to
convert the svn plugin to use the new API ;)

> > @Christian: Also I just checked again on the subversion stuff, the
> > problem with the binary packages from the project is that those have
> > only static libs for MSVC (for svn 1.4, IIRC its going to change for
> > 1.5). Thats the reason I've gone through the hassle of building svn with
> > MSVC here, to provide dll's for the client libs and apropriate  import
> > libs for mingw.
> >
> Ok, looks like we should wait for 1.5 :)

Hopefully it'll be released this year or early next year. Also svn 1.5
will bring in sqlite as dependecy I think.

Andreas

--
Look afar and see the end from the beginning.