"External" Libraries in KDE4 apps

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 13:44:56 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'd like to get some clarifications about the various issues with
libraries on win32.

Is it possible to use static libraries on win32? If so whats needed for
that, I guess 2 separate builds for mingw and msvc?

Is it relatively easy to convert a static lib into a shared lib when

- its a shared lib on unix already (but seemingly not using gcc
visibility)
- the list of to-be-exported classes is very clearly defined
?

In case you're wondering: I'm going to change KDevPlatform's dependecy
on the subversion C-library to RapidSVN's libsvncpp. As far as I can see
they only provide MSVC-Buildsystem for win32 (unix uses autohell) and
those dsp-files build a static lib.

@Christian: Also I just checked again on the subversion stuff, the
problem with the binary packages from the project is that those have
only static libs for MSVC (for svn 1.4, IIRC its going to change for
1.5). Thats the reason I've gone through the hassle of building svn with
MSVC here, to provide dll's for the client libs and apropriate  import
libs for mingw.

Andreas

--
You are magnetic in your bearing.