knotify4.exe won't start, might be phonon_platform "uses incompatible Qt library"

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 7 03:07:51 CET 2007

In my kdewin-installer-gui-0.8.1-2.exe installation,
knotify4.exe won't start.

* Explorer says:
   Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may
not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

* Command-prompt says "Access is denied"

* Running in Cygwin gdb says
   Error creating process /cygdrive/c/KDE4/bin/knotify4.exe, (error 5).

If I copy knotify4.exe to a different filename and run that, it silently
exits in Explorer and cmd.exe.  But gdb reports

Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/KDE4/bin/phonon.dll
warning: ASSERT failure in class Phonon::PlatformPlugin *__thiscall
Phonon::FactoryPrivate::platformPlugin(void): "The plugin
'C:/KDE4/lib/kde4/plugins/phonon_platform/kde.dll' uses incompatible Qt
library. (Cannot mix debug and release libraries.)", file
D:\kde-msvc\tmp\kdelibs-beta4-3.95.1.20071029\work\kdelibs\phonon\factory.cpp,
line 283

I see a similar message in DebugView if I configure KTeaTime to notify
with a sound, yet KTeaTime starts and runs OK.  So maybe the problem
with knotify4 is something else.

Dependency Walker doesn't report any problems for knotify4.exe (apart
from DWMAPI.DLL and EFSADU.DLL that it reports for all my programs, even
Wordpad.exe).

Cheers,
--
=S Page