OT: xine and phonon-xine

Niels van Mourik niels at shodan.nl
Sun Jun 3 02:46:19 CEST 2007

Op zaterdag 02 juni 2007, schreef Dapuzz:
> In data 02 giugno 2007 alle ore 11:53:15, Niels van Mourik
>
> <niels at shodan.nl> ha scritto:
> > Another temporary solution would be to use Phonon's gstreamer backend on
> > windows (as gstreamer has pretty good support for windows).
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Nielsvm
>
> gstreamer too compile under a Msys env, but neither phonon-gst or
> phonon-gst2 are not so up to date, and they do not compile at all.
> on #phonon i'have read that xine is the only one backend working :(
I do not know about the state of the phonon-gst back-end (as I'm not a phonon
dev), but it's disabled in the linux CMakelists.txt file as well. But what
kind of errors are you receiving? Perhaps it's easy to fix.

> Some rumors say trolltech is involved in phonon backend but i cannot find
> any information.
> Bah!
Yes, I heard these kind of rumours as well! Hopefully TT does write a windows
backend as there are probably no willing developers out there (who actually
know the DirectX API) that can write a full functional windows backend for
Phonon (the same applies to Windows' Hardware Abstraction Layer support for
solid).

A big plus of a true/native windows back-ends would mean almost zero
maintenance work on it, as Windows has two multimedia API's (directX and WMF)
which won't change for the next 20 years (well, that's a complete guess based
on their never-break-the-api behaviour of the last then yrs).

Does anybody out here know about TT's involvement in writing a phonon-win
backend?

Nielsvm
--
The sky may fall on your head tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes!
  -- Chief Vitalstatix