kde installer in kdewin32 svn

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Jan 3 02:03:51 CET 2007

Jarosław Staniek schrieb:
> Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2007-01-03 01:31:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some month ago there was work done to get a kde installer for win32.
>>
>> The idea is to have a qt command line and/or gui application, which
>> makes it possible to download and install
>>
>> - gnuwin32 and/or win32libs related packages
>> - kde binary and source packages
>> - packages from other sources
>>

>> The design allows to use different download types (for example from a
>> sourceforge project or other locations reachable by http) and/or
>> different download mirrors.
>>
>> The command line tool works currently well for gnuwin32 related
>> packages. Adding additional installer for example to install 7zip
>> packages from the win32libs download area is very easy. Using an
>> different download strategy is also easy.
>>
>> The gui installer is in a very early state and not functional.
>>
>> The sources could inspected on using
>> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/kdewin32/installer/
>>

> Great! IMHO it's a good choice to have own installer. I use NSIS on win32 for
> KDElibs3 and I am already tired because of this.
Then you should try inno setup.
>  Also MSI installers will not get us as much control as the hand-made one.

and they are inreliable.

For installing single packages using an open source installer like NSIS
or it's counterparts Inno Setup http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php is
very good especially when the build system can create such package
automatically, but to download and install all the required third party
libraries would be a night mare and the kde-installer is not targeted to
replace NSIS or Inno Setup.

Currently we need

- dbus package
- qt package
- gnuwin32 or win32libs runtime package
- additional libraries for example boost, db for kdevelop
- additional tools from elsewhere for example perl, python and others

This installer should get all informations where the related packages
are located and would be able to download all required packages and to
install the package directly when it is packaged in gz, bzip2, 7zip or
zip format or to call the related setup if the downloaded package is an
executable.

I can also image to be able to download and install rpm packages - for
example KDE language packages - without repackaging, but this is future.

For now the the command line installer uses qtcore and qtnetwork
libraries and would be a static qt application in the long run to be
independent from any other dll.

Are there any additional comments or contributions ?