Debugging MinGW build with VC++ 2005

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Dec 22 19:11:52 CET 2007

On 22.12.07 18:05:57, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 22.12.07 17:31:10, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat schrieb:

> > > Yikes, that basically means no win32 support from my side I fear - at
> > > least not unless someone finds a half-decent working gdb-frontend.
> > > Eclipse doesn't work, KDevelop4 needs Windows porting (and I'm not sure
> > > thats easily doable by me, as it currently seems to use some tty-stuff)
> > > and I can't find any Insight binaries.
> > >
> > Now you know why we won't debug mingw execuables :)
> > The problem is that the gcc debug format is no longer supported by msvc.
> > It maybe works with msvc6.
>
> No, the problem is that apparently nobody is able to create a
> half-working GUI on top of gdb. Well, lets see how insight works and
> wether eclipse works better with gdb 6.6 (instead of 6.3).

I give up. Eclipse proves itself still broken and while Insight looked
promising it doesn't allow to open arbitrary source files. One can only
work with the files that are known when the app is loaded or stopped.
Though stopping kdevelop completely cuts the connection between gdb and
the app.

Guess I have to go with VC++, MinGW people really need to do a lot more
work until its usable for real-world projects, except for simply
building and running them.

Andreas

--
Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.