useless discussion on MinGW/MSVC & releasing apps

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Fri Dec 21 11:34:13 CET 2007

Hi

I wonder why we need such a dicussion every now and then. Imho we
decided to support both compilers - so no discussion here any more.

The only thing you could discuss is wheter we should (officially)
support gcc4.2.1 and msvc2008. As gcc4.2.1 is only a technology preview
I personally would not even consider them using it in anything other
than a test environment... msvc2008 shouldn't be that big problem
because it's (imho) bc to 2005 (like 2003 and 2005 are bc). The
debug/release problem with msvc is also solved - we only release
'release' or 'release wih debug' binaries.

I also don't understand why someone thinks about releasing any kde4 app
before 4.1. There're so much open issues in kdelibs and I did not see a
*single* checkin to fix them! Looks like you only want to get some
public attention without thinking about what you want to release.

The whole thing here looks to me like my former project (sim-icq). A lot
of people discussing useless things but nobody really fixes something
where it needs to be.

Christian
(who thinks about moving to kde/linux development)