Advantages of MinGW (was: KDE Windows and releases)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 23:54:29 CET 2007

On 20.12.07 23:08:48, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> * compatibility with GCC code:
> Several *nix programs only support GCC/g++ for building, with MinGW this is
> not a problem. Even if they need GCC 4.2, there's the GCC 4.2.1 tech preview
> which can be used and which is binary-compatible with GCC 3.4 (see above).
> And for most programs, 3.4 is actually good enough. For VC++, they need
> porting for an entirely different compiler.

Well, I agree that you don't have to work with VC++ pickiness and
problems, but IMHO most of the work of porting to win32 are actual
platform differences and not soo much compiler differences, both
compilers support reasonably recent C++ standards. And there are also
some problems with mingw, back when I was actively doing win32
compilations of kde I hit at least 2 or 3 "internal compiler errors",
one of which couldn't be worked around.

> >From an application developer's point of view, there's no reason to port to
> different compilers when the same compiler (GCC) is available on all
> platforms they care about.

Thats really not right, unless you can't access a win32 box or can't
have somebody compile your app for you. VC++ produces smaller code and
compiles a lot faster.

> Also compare with the other side: who's to guarantee that the Express Edition
> of VC++ will remain available and come with a EULA which is compatible with
> Free Software development? I think that despite Danny's resignation, MinGW is
> still the option with the less uncertain future.

Agreed on that one. Also seeing that (as I said already) my Express
Edition refuses to work after the 30 day period.

IMHO supporting VC++ is ok if there are people doing it, but having open
source apps that are not buildable with an open source compiler is just
not a good sign to the "outside".

Andreas

--
Good day to let down old friends who need help.