KDE Windows and releases

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Dec 19 11:30:17 CET 2007

Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2007-12-19 10:34:
> Shane King schrieb:
>> Just had a few thoughts about how KDE is going to work on Windows as a
>> finished product somewhere along the line. For background, my blog post
>> about Amarok Windows releases:
>>
>> <http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/550-Windows-binaries-and-packaging.html>
>>
>> As I see it, sometime in the not too distant future, Amarok 2 is going
>> to go alpha on Linux, and we'd like to go alpha on Windows too. The
>> difficulty is that you can really only have one KDE 4 installation per
>> user (or at least only be running from one installation at a time), so
>> to play nice with others, Amarok can't really package its own KDE
>> libraries, there needs to be an "official" distribution.
>>

>> For this to happen, I think we'd need to do the following:
>>
>> * We need to pick a compiler. Keeping things compiling under multiple
>> compilers is a good thing so we can change with circumstances, but for
>> releases to work we need an official compiler.
>>
>> Lets be honest: MSVC compiles faster, produces smaller binaries, (IMO
>> seems to) produces faster code, has a better debugging environment, is
>> the standard for windows development, just works with the PSDK without
>> having to write your own headers and hasn't had the lead developer quit.
>> On the other hand, the politics of choosing it over mingw are difficult.
>> Not sure how you decide that one, glad it's not my call. ;)
>>
> This was discussed already on the KDE on windows meeting this year in
> berlin very intensive
>
> One of reasons why msvc wasn't taken as prefered compiler was that qt
> has no official msvc support. This reason has gone because Trolltech has
> official support for the msvc 2005 compiler.
>
> On more reason against msvc was the hope that big companies would
> sponser further mingw development - Jaruslav: Do you have news about this ?

Not really, IIRC the idea (of supporting it) was rather our private 'wish' at
the time. Patrick, do you have anything new to add?

> One reason against mingw was that debugging kde applications with gdb
> would be very hard because of very very long debug info loading time and
> that there is no gui available - is anyone there who can give an update ?
>
>> * We'd need to have sort of nominal release schedule so that we can
>> point people to it and say "yes, bug X is fixed and in the next release,
>> we hope to have it out in 2 weeks". Of course we have very limited
>> resources so we can't commit to anything concrete, but having a vague
>> idea of when the next release is coming and what will be in it would be
>> nice.
>>
> For the technical decision I have some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to use dll's created with Visual Studio 2005 with VS
> 2008 ?
> 2. Is it possible to use dll's created with Visual Studio 2008 with VS
> 2005 ?
> 3. Is it possible to use dll's created with Visual Studio Express 2005
> with the other versions VS 2005  and VS2008 ?

Very good question. I need to ask on one of the MS 'product' news groups re.
questions #1 and #2. Stay tuned.

Regarding question #3 - I cannot believe it would not be possible.

One remark for any version of msvc - IIRC debug versions of the 'system'
msvc*d.dll libraries are not be redistributable. Not a problem for developers
since they would have already installed msvc that contains msvc*d.dll.
But users would not be able to run 'development' version of the apps as long
as it is a build with debug information. But I'll ask about this on a group as
well.

Re msvc 2003 I am indeed considering finishing 'support' for it by the
beginning of 2008 anyway.

> 4. Are any side effects known in one of the above mentioned case ?
>
> At least this depends on having people doing this releases which also
> means those people must have a license of the related compiler  (except
> the msvc 2005 Express for which no license is required)

Even if I have nto compared the new and old licenses, there's msvc 2008
Express freeware too.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek