building libraries with mingw

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Aug 29 13:37:18 CEST 2007

Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
>> Von: "Christian Ehrlicher"
>>
> <snip>
>
>>> This may work for release libraries, but aren't there problems with msvc
>>> mixing release and/debug libraries ?
>>>
>> Not as long as you don't pass e.g FILE or other structures which have
>> different sizes in msvc debug and release mode.
This looks like a bad design by ms.
>> Normally a lib should never do
>> this (ok, kdewin lib is an exception)

Any library which expects for example a FILE pointer in a function or
method signature will have this problem.
> I forgot to mention that it will also not work when you pass std::foo in a c++ lib because std::string is also different in debug and release mode... :-(

One area more.
Are there other structures known which differs in size between release
and debug version  ? This would help to estimate which areas would make
problems.