building libraries with mingw

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Wed Aug 29 10:09:15 CEST 2007

> Von: Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de>
> Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
> >> Von: Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de>

> >> If you refering to libidn from http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/ the
> >> reason is because libidn uses automake, which does not work well under
> >> native win32.
> >>
> >> You can try to use a  custom Makefile to generate the library and tools
> >> or to port it to the cmake buildsystem (see www.cmake.org for more
> >> informations)
> >>
> > stop please. Don't make double work and just ask me ;-)
> > Or ask Serhiy Kachanuk - he already build kopete on win32 with jabber
> and my libidn lib.
> >
> > http://web779.michelle.webhoster.ag/kde/libidn-1.0-1.7z
> >
> > Be aware that this lib is only tested by serzh - I have had no time to
> test it by my own. It's a combined mingw/msvc lib (because it's c only)
> >
> How do you have build this with msvc - with a custom make file or do you
> have added cmake support  ?

It's a c-only lib - no need to compile it with two different compilers. I build it with mingw/msys/automake (including some changes I already sent to libidn devs, see attachment) and recreated the import lib. That's the 'normal' way when building C-only libs on win32.

Christian
btw: Ralf, did you get Holgers mail?