[RFC] Idea how to fix PATH (and other) problems

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Aug 8 11:09:07 CEST 2007

On 08.08.07 09:49:23, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Von: Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>
> > On 08.08.07 06:32:51, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > > As I only want to have one executable we'Ve two options
> > > a) 'unpack' the real executable into a temp directory and execute it
> > > b) execute it from memory
> > >
> > > I'd prefer the second, but for the start the first will work too
> >
> > Uhm, but CreateProcess doesn't work for execut memory, or does it? I
> > mean that solution that PutHuhn presented for executing from memory
> > sounded extremly scary and I'd rather have the packager copy the .dll's
> > around for the packages instead of that ugly solution.
> >
> But with your solution you don't solve anything - I as the user want to execute my program by clicking on my executable and not on another one somewhere else.

Yes I do, I solve the problem of having to set PATH, which leaves the
problems of the app icon not embedded into the executable (I actually
couldn't care less wether the icon is in the executable or separate as
.ico) and the problem of two incompatible abi's from compilers so you
can't mix msvc and mingw libs/executables which can be solved in the
installer by only providing msvc or mingw apps depending on which qt is
chosen.

> As I said - for now we can extract the real executable to the disk and execute it, and later we can try to add in-memory execution.

Yeap, I didn't mean to object the idea as whole, just that part about
in-memory execution seems to me not worth the effort you'd have to put
in (yes I know some executables might get rather large - umbrello has
18megs).

Andreas

--
You will feel hungry again in another hour.