How to setup kde4 on windows?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Apr 7 02:49:08 CEST 2007

Hi,

in the last couple of days I tried to setup KDE4 on my windows box at
work and didn't suceed. Then I put windows onto my old PIII because I
couldn't believe I'm not getting it to work :)

However similar problems. So far I followed the informations on
http://kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Building_KDElibs_4_using_GCC_and_MinGW_with_Qt_4.2

And got somewhat dupe-libs from gnuwin32 and win32libs (specifically
libxml2, libpng and libjpeg). The only difference to the steps there is
that I wanted to build Qt4.3 from qt-copy, which is supposed to work -
AFAIK - as it now contains the merged sources of mac,x11 and windows
opensource sources.

However neither with system-jpeg support nor with qt-jpeg it builds
fine. I also can't seem to get the system-png to work. Basically it
seems that even though I have -L'ed the various gnuwin32 and win32libs
lib and bin dirs (not sure if both are needed, but the bin contains all
the dll's and the lib all those .lib files) it can't link to libjpeg.
What is a bit weird IMHO that the gcc-command uses -ljpeg.lib, is that
correct? (Never built a shared lib on windows or linked to it). For png
the problem seems to be mainly that Qt expects libpng and not libpng12
or libpng13.

I also found the kdewin32 installer, which seems to install all
support-stuff that I need, I'll check if thats enough to get qt-copy and
other stuff compiled. Also I noticed that this one would install Qt4.2,
so I guess it needs an update.

Finally the question: Are the instructions on that page still correct?
Has someone ever tested to build qt-copy instead of using the binary
package? I mainly want to avoid the binary package because I already
have mingw installed separately.

Andreas

--
Long life is in store for you.