klauncher and kdeinit on win32 initial running

Imre Szabo szaboimre at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 08:13:45 CET 2006

Dear Ralph,

Last year  you were kind to me for compiling
Neuroscope and Klusters to run Cygwin. Recently
several efforts  has been made for porting KDE, Qt and
xml in Windows. As I am not able to estimate it, could
you tell me whether the recent standing of these
efforts permit compilation the Neuroscope and Klusters
or we should wait for further progress.

Best regards,

Imre

--- Ralf Habacker  wrote:

--- Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in the last days there were some efforts to get
> klauncher and kdeinit on
> win32 running.
>
> The current state is, that klauncher is able to
> start win32 applications
> with command line parameters (at least on mingw,
> which I have tested)
>
> The recent implementation does not depends on
> kdeinit like the unix
> version, because forking isn't available under
> windows, any process is
> started as regular process even kio slaves. Instead
> klauncher uses
> QProcess to start additional applications inside
> klauncher.
>
> kdeinit is designed as initial launcher for the
> basic kde application
> like dbus-daemon, klauncher and kded (and optional
> application like unix
> kdeinit does using the +app syntax).
>
> My notes to this implemenation are:
> - The unix version of klauncher/kdeinit uses very
> much native unix api
> function for example socket code. My question is if
> there are any plans
> for a (may be partial) redesign to avoid duplicated
> parts in the unix
> and windows code.
>
> Anyone who is interested in seeing KDE on windows is
> invited to check
> and advance this features.
>
> Regards
> Ralf

Imre Szabó M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Neuropsychology,
Institute of Behavioral Sciences,
Faculty of Medicine, Pécs University,
Szigeti u 12.,
H-7624 Pecs, Hungary
Tel: +36 72 536-258, Fax: +36 72 536-257,
mobile: +36  20 204-9128, home:+36 72 312-660