KUrl(QString) fix

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Dec 20 18:30:48 CET 2006

David Faure schrieb:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 17:38, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> David Faure schrieb:

>>> The breakage was on windows only, right?
>>> Someone should really run kurltest (from kdecore/tests) on windows (it passes fine on unix).
>>>

>> I had run kurltest and saw that one of the problems is laying deeper in
>> QUrl. The appended test case show it
>>
>> F:\daten\test\qurltest>debug\test
>> case 1: file:/netaccesstest_README -> /netaccesstest_README
>> case 2: file://netaccesstest_README ->
>> case 3: file:///netaccesstest_README -> /netaccesstest_README
>> case 4: file:/C:/netaccesstest_README -> /C:/netaccesstest_README
>> case 5: file://C:/netaccesstest_README -> /netaccesstest_README
>> case 6: file:///C:/netaccesstest_README -> /C:/netaccesstest_README
>>
>> 1 and 3. looks as excepted and 2. is ignored because of badly formed url.
>>
> Yes (well it would be a hostname, in case 2)
>

>> In case 4. and 6. there the path is prefixed by a non expected '/'
>>
> Is it really? file:///foo means the path is /foo, that's how urls work, per the RFCs.
> It doesn't matter that foo is "C:/bar".
> mSo getting /C:/bar as path seems normal to me, we just need to be able to handle that....

I understand and this means there is no bug in the Qt code
> Or do you mean that e.g. QFile("/C:/bar") fails?
yes.

> Since '/' as first char on Windows can't
> possibly mean anything, Qt could just remove it imho... I guess that's the part that's missing.
>
> At the QUrl level it's all fine imho, unless TT can be convinced to standardize on file:///C:/ kind of stuff
> and adjust path() accordingly to match how local paths work on windows - all very un-rfc-like...

Thanks for this pointer.

Now it is clear to me where the real problem is. On unix KUrl::path()
(or QUrl::path()) returns the same path as toLocalFile(). Because of
that there are many places in the kde code where the returned path from
KUrl::path() is used as local file path, which it as you said per
definition *not* a local file path, it is instead the path of the url.

On windows path() and isLocalFile() returns different values. See case 4
and 6 below

case url:                           path()
toLocalFile()
   1: file:/netaccesstest            /netaccesstest
/netaccesstest
   2: file://netaccesstest
//netaccesstest
   3: file:///netaccesstest          /netaccesstest
/netaccesstest
   4: file:/C:/netaccesstest         /C:/netaccesstest
C:/netaccesstest
   5: file://C:/netaccesstest        /netaccesstest
//c/netaccesstest
   6: file:///C:/netaccesstest       /C:/netaccesstest
C:/netaccesstest

As result it looks to me that in kde code toLocalFile() should be used
in every place where the local path of an url is used, not path()