KHTMLPart

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 7 15:52:25 CET 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 2:18, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Von: Rikardo Tinauer <rikardo.tinauer at eba.si>
>
> > Is it possible to patch KHTMLPart class so it does not need a D-BUS,
> > KLauncher and KDE deamon anymore?

almost anything is possible given the right patch ;)

let's see ...

khtml uses dbus to communicate with the cookiejar, kwalletmanager and the
passwd server. the cookiejar and passwd server use kded, kwalletmanager is
simply an external app.

if none of these services are needed (e.g. you are just rendering local html)
then it may make sense to have a mode where khtml doesn't use any of these
services. i see only 3 files where dbus calls are made, and 3 where kwallet
is used directly.

there are also a few calls to KToolInvocation that would need to be patched,
and a few instances of KRun::runUrl (which ends up calling KToolInvocation,
which ends up making DBus calls) as well.

there's also the dbus interface it exports. this is done in
KHTMLPart::init(KHTMLView*, GUIProfile). perhaps this could be controlled by
adding a new element to the GUIProfile enum?

> > All I really need is KHTML browser in
> > my app instead of M$ IExploder, running all these apps and deamons in
> > background is a total overhead.

if you don't need password storage, secure form completion and cookies i
agree. if you do, then this assessment may be quite incorrect. what's your
exact use case?

> > I also believe KDELibs if designed that
> > way
> > will have serious problem establishing as a seroius development platform
> > on
> > win32.

IMHO, the best way to make kdelibs a serious development platform on win32 is
for the people coding on win32 to work on making it a serious development
platform for win32.

> I don't think this is a question for kde-windows. Ask at kde-core-devel.

actually, this is a question for kfm-devel at kde.org where khtml development
happens.

--
Aaron J. Seigo