[Kde-windows] KProcess overhaul

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Apr 15 19:08:39 CEST 2006

Kuba Ober schrieb:
> On Saturday 15 April 2006 05:56, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 10:50:14AM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>>
>>> for windows the recent KProcess implementation is unusable, so I'm going
>>> to provide an initial KProcess implementation with the following steps:
>>>
>> feel free to do so, but be prepared that qt 4.2 will make at least some
>> of your work be in vain, and you will be told by some kde code dev
>> employed by tt "why maintain code in kde if we can offload it to tt?".
>> of course it is just a minor detail that i'm waiting for solid 4 months
>> to get even a *remote* specification of what is planned.
>>

> To avoid any fallout from that, and to promote flexibility, wouldn't it be
> safer for now to have KProcess not inherit from, but just wrap around
> QProcess?

I have asked this myself too.

I think the answer depends on if the QT4 QProcess api (see
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/qprocess.html)  would be usable for KDE or
not.

If it is usable it could be inherited from QProcess and later wrapped by
rewriting the related methods. Is anyone there who can evalute the
QProcess api ? For windows the QProcess API is reasonable.

If not a proposal for the KProcess API is required. Does anyone have
such a proposal ?